It was my second time driving up to Johor Bahru last weekend, and can I just say that it was one helluva experience? Well there are the good and bad side of it :)
It was one of my Dear's colleague's birthday so we decided to drive up to JB for a good meal and some shopping. I guess it was kinda a bad idea it being the weekend, so we had to go through the jam at the customs which took about an hour plus. Then, even with the car GPS we got lost twice because we couldn't quite remember the route to Jusco (the one stop shopping centre, kinda like a Vivo City in JB) On top of that, I thought that the traffic was horrendous! We all know that Malaysian drivers are crazy drivers and Keong was just driving like one of them. He said that Singaporeans drivers in JB are more 'guai lan' than their own drivers, reason being because they can't speed or change lanes without signalling and getting horned at in Singapore. So you can just imagine right. I had my experiences with fast & the furious at the old OG, but definitely driving in JB is not my cup of tea.
We finally reached Jusco and had our late late lunch at Kenny Rogers. Although the service was extremely suspicious (as service recovery of waiting for our food, they gave us 5 free soups!), the price of the meal was MUCH cheaper than in it would have been in Singapore. The mall was pretty crowded that evening but we weren't gonna miss out on getting our share or Dunkin' Donuts! In total, Darling and I bought 15 donuts!! Well they were having this 5+1, 7+2 offer thingy so we ended up with a whole trunk load of donuts and snacks from Tessco, another departmental store.
Dinner was at Taman Sentosa, I would say it's kinda like a lower class of Newton or Chomps. It was an outdoor coffee shop with many food stalls including the famous 'zhi char' stall too. Food was great, but the mutton satay and buttered cray fish were the highlights of the dinner! We ended up ordering a little too much but once again, the price was still wayyy more cheaper compared to the price of that meal in Singapore. Before driving back to Singapore, just like any other Singaporean, we attempted to pump a quarter tank of gas into 2803 at Shell and prepared for the long long jam ahead.
I am now super thankful that our government built clean roads with legal U-turn signs and that we have somewhat safer drivers on the roads. After sending all of them back, we only got home at 2 in the morning, what a LONG LONG day it was for all of us, but overall a good experience. Wouldn't mind going back, but can we take bus or taxi in this time please? =P
Can you believe that we're already half way passed 2009!? It's now the second day of July. It wasn't quite the way I pictured June to end with Michael Jackson's death and all. It is now all over the news, radio, Internet and 2009 will officially be a year to be remembered in Music history, as the King of Pop that brought many inspiration to many artists. Now in the car while we're travelling, Dear plays his songs as a tribute to the King. Life's just short!
My theory: Life is short so we should have more and more and more desserts everyday to feel happy! :)
On Tuesday, Dear and I went on date just the two of us! We both agree that it's been a while since we actually went out the entire day. Lunch at Chinatown People's Park food centre. Dear recommended me this famous and delicious fish ball noodles. I think the fish balls and fish cakes were homemade that's why they had a nice texture to it. Then for dessert, I brought him to this oldschool dessert house at Temple St. Ice cold shaved Mango ice dessert for the two of us! We did a little toiletry shopping and headed back to the East.
Dinner-in-a-movie night time! 'Da bao-ed' Macs up to the theaters to catch Transformers 2! Yes, we finally watched it and I think there's sooo gonna be a third Transformers movie, because the enemy isn't dead yer lar. HAHA. Good movie, plus a few new auto bots too. I like the humor of the movie and sexy Megan Fox. If you haven't already go watch it, please go. Up next on the list is --I love you man. Friends have said it's hilarious, so I've yet to go watch it :D
I'm happy for Pammy as she gets her wedding preparations done and I'm glad I was of good help yesterday. It was collection day of her gowns and the groom's tux as it's photo shoot day tomorrow. So the two of us had to literally carry 3 gowns + a Edmund's tux across the road of Orchard Delphi to Forum (because her car cannot be parked at delphi i think you should know why) and our arms ached like crazy! I'm thinking luckily we were 'tall' enough to actually raise the gowns all nicely packed in their cases above our heads. So literally in a way we're just airing our armpits as we cross that road. And of course we all know that getting married and choosing the right stuff to match this or even choosing jewelry is tough, and since the photo shoot is tomorrow, we had to get a so called temporary set of everything from shoes to jewelry. In less than 3 hours in Town, we managed to hunt for shoes for him and her and some jewelry for her as well. Phew! I bet today will be yet another busy day for the two.
The weather's been crazy these few days, one minute it's like 38 degrees out, then it rains. Like today, it just finished raining a storm here, and I mean storm like doors banging, papers flying, rain droplets tapping on your window stilts, cannot see a thing kinda rain. Scary right? The weekend is coming again, and guess what, it's the 4th of July: American Independence Day. Well of course staying there for 4 years, we have to be a tad patriotic once in a while. I'm gonna make cheesecake for dinner this weekend! Pictures of that will be up in the next post! Stay Tuned!
The least you expect, the least you regret and with that, comes the lesser chance of disappointment.
