After having this strange and static feeling in my right lower jaw area for about 1 month now, I finally decided to visit the dentist today. I've always had a huge fear of doctors, nurses and dentists. It's usually either their weird medical equipment or sharp objects that send chills down my spine and goosebumps everywhere. So this afternoon, after digging out my outermost courage, I stepped into the dentist's office and told him I just wanted a normal check up. After looking at my teeth for less than 1 minute, he said "You have two impacted wisdom tooth on your bottom left and right and the one on your right is slightly infected." At first, I was relieve to know that I had been right from the beginning, it was my growing wisdom tooth not like some cancerous swell. But on the other hand, I knew I was gonna be induced with a lot of pain on the day of extraction.
An X-ray of my mouth had to be done to see the condition of the tooth, and can I just say that technology has so made the whole experience damn cool. Haha. Well, it was interesting, then was when we discovered the bad and horrifying news. The X-ray results showed that because the two wisdom tooth were what the dentist explained to us, "eagle clawed like" onto my gums and also lying in a position pushing my bottom set of teeth inwards, it could not just be a normal extraction. However, the dentist who checked my teeth was just a General Practitioner and he was so being an ass about the whole "I don't feel comfortable doing the surgery ... blah blah." Only a qualified surgeon or specialist would be able to save me and I would have to go through day surgery, plus be put to sleep so that they'll be able to extract both at the same time.
So before I decided to go to the poly clinic to get a referral letter for SGH, luckily, my mother remembered her usual dentist that helped extract both my parent's wisdom tooth a couple of years back. We gave him a call and I have an appointment with him tomorrow. Tomorrow shall be another interesting day at the dentist as I get a second opinion and hopefully I wouldn't have to go to SGH. If my mother's recommended dentist cannot take up this tough job, he'll recommend a private surgeon that will be able to do it. Pray for me! :(
Did you know that only Asians would get this whole wisdom tooth thingy? The dentists over in the US for example wouldn't know how to do the surgery on you as this will never happen to Caucasians. This is because as Asians, we have smaller jaws causing lesser space for an extra set of molars to grow. It was also said to be heredity, meaning if your parents have the problem, their kids would have a higher chance of having it too.
